Report Water Pollution in Lake Champlain and its tributaries

It is important that all water pollution problems are reported.

What type of problem should I report?

If it doesn't look right, it is worth reporting.
Things that definitely should be reported are fish
kills, excessive algae growth, discolored water,
strangely colored or strangely smelling effluent
coming out of a pipe, or dump sites.

What should I do if I find a problem?

When reporting the incident you should try and
assemble as much information as possible.
By the time an investigator arrives on the scene
to look into the problem it may have ceased.

Before reporting try to:

  • Take pictures. The more the better.

  • Record the details of the problem, address, exact time, and any other pertinent information.

  • If there are other witnesses, get their contact information.

  • Get a water quality sample in a clean bottle. To find out the proper way to collect a water quality sample in a screw-cap bottle, click here.

Who should I contact?

Contact the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources Enforcement Division.  Their phone number is 802-828-1254 (during business hours, 8am-4:30pm). 

You can also contact the Saint Albans Area Watershed Association and report the details of your observations.

algae bloom in st. albans bay
trash by jewett brook
report a problem
click below
for an online  form to report
a pollution
working to restore st. albans bay
click for reporting form
St. Albans Area Watershed Association | P.O. Box 1567, St. Albans VT 05478 | email: [email protected]
St. Albans Area Watershed Association | P.O. Box 1567, St. Albans VT 05478 | email: [email protected]
SAAWA logo | return home